This is a dangerous world it seems. Even for the old, decrepit bules who frequent unsavory drinking holes and night clubs in Block M and other venues prowling for their pembantu-looking dates for the night to satisfy their basic needs. Celibacy seems the best bet for these Om Om Genit.
See the warning from the US Government below:
U.S. Embassy Jakarta Warden Message
February 22, 2008
U.S. Embassy Jakarta
U.S. Consulate General Surabaya
U.S. Consulate Medan
The U.S. Embassy in Jakarta would like to inform U.S. citizens that the Indonesian National Police reports that there has been an increase in “drink-spiking” incidents within the last month, targeting males who are frequenting clubs and nightspots. We have confirmed that five males of varying ethnicities have been victimized in this manner since January 18, 2007. At this time, we do not believe that American citizens are being targeted in these incidents.
The effects of this drug, believed to be an animal tranquilizer, are extremely powerful. Besides putting the victim in an unconscious state for a long period of time, the side effects include memory loss, nausea, headaches and vomiting. Although these incidents involve male victims it is important to remember that females have been victimized in the past with “Date-Rape” drugs. Everyone should consider carefully the following guidance:
How Can You Protect Yourself?
- The best way to protect yourself is to not put yourself in a position where you’re bringing a stranger back to your residence or room.
- Never accept a drink from someone you’ve just met.
- Do not leave your drink unattended if/when you are out socializing.
- Make sure any bottled beverage that is served to you is sealed; have the server open it in front of you.
- It’s a good practice to go out with a friend or group of people.
- If you find yourself a victim of such a crime, please seek medical help immediately upon regaining consciousness.